We briefly touch on a few items:
- Boeing lifts forecasts for aircraft useage in Oceania
- Victoria will not get a DC10 water bomber next season but will instead get 2 Convair 580s & another Erickson skycrane
- British Airways may still want to merge with Qantas but Qantas says “No thanks”
- John Borghetti’s going to fight the US DoT & ACCC decisions and they’re asking for 3 weeks extension to respond – meanwhile Qantas objects to the Etihad alliance
But all of this is small stuff compared to the ‘big’ news:
Qantas are going to fly Oprah and an A380 full of her fans to Australia!
We discuss John Travolta’s involvement and a local comedian’s idea for a “real” welcome to Melbourne.
Meanwhile, in other big news, Richard Branson was in Australia for Virgin Blue’s 10th birthday and had the following to say:
- He’s upset about the US DoT & ACCC decisions
- That Virgin Blue may pull out of the trans-tasman market entirely
- The name Virgin will remain in the brand
- They’ll continue to undercut Qantas
NOTE: Yes, we stuffed up – we kept referring to Etihad instead of Emirates when talking about airlines flying over the Tasman. DOH! Sorry :(